Optimising Data And Information Management To Support Exploration
What Are Your Key Challenges Today?
Is expansion into new geographies or exploration
of new energy resources putting strain on your
information management processes? Do you need
easier access to information assets like seismic
sections, well data and core samples — and to legacy
data currently held on magnetic tape? Does the
drive to improve recovery rates from harder-to-reach
reservoirs mean you need to capture and manage
real-time seismic imaging and data?
Given the volume and variety of information you use
and generate every day, do any of these sound familiar:
- Are you struggling to search, access and share
information and data across your organisation and
with partners, contractors and regulators?
- Do you need to reduce the cost and effort involved
in managing growing volumes of physical and digital
- Do you need integrated processes for accessing digital
and physical information?
- Do you worry that information access, management and
security issues could put business productivity, regulatory
compliance or your company’s reputation at risk?
- Do you need to enhance the safety and longevity of highvalue
exploration data and assure the quality of metadata
and code assets?
- Do you need to make sure your valuable stored data is on
the most up-to-date media?
Why Iron Mountain ?
- We have over 30 years’ experience of delivering
industry-leading information management services
specifically designed to meet the needs of the oil and
- We work with all the super-majors and 90% of the
majors in Europe and North America
- We’ve been in business since 1951, and our first
customer is still with us
“Iron Mountain is a great partner
- they help us to manage all our
information, from storing paper
records to large-scale tape migration
projects which allow us to preserve
our seismic survey information for
Elisabeth Brandeggen , Senior Analyst
Data & Information Management , Statoil
How Iron Mountain Can Help
Imagine being confident that the data management
processes underpinning your operations were consistent,
provided robust security for sensitive information, and
supported regulatory compliance.
Working with Iron Mountain will provide you with:
- The ability to bring the management of physical and digital
information assets together
- Specialist seismic data transcription and capture services,
undertaken by skilled and experienced teams at our
dedicated E&P locations
- Dedicated energy-sector facilities in Norway and the UK
- Specialist services to let you digitise even non-standard
format records such as well logs
- The services of qualified geologists experienced in
photographing rock and drill samples and producing the
high-quality core images you need to support decisions
about exploration and production activities
- Data cleansing services, including reviewing and correcting
existing metadata and reducing duplicates
- Access to expertise to help you set up, deploy and control
information management policies for your information
assets, embed streamlined best-practice processes across
your organisation, and train your staff
Get Your Seismic And Well Data Under Control
Iron Mountain specialists based in dedicated facilities can
help you manage and access your historical and real-time
seismic data more efficiently:
- We can transcribe seismic and well data from all legacy
tape media to the latest 3592 and LT0x high-capacity tape
formats to help you access and distribute the data more
easily and protect it from media deterioration.
- If you’re implementing permanent reservoir monitoring
you can rely on Iron Mountain to capture all the real-time
seismic data from the seabed and transfer it to servers,
tapes or other storage media, ready for you to analyse.
Our specialists will monitor the data received and alert you
to any gaps or anomalies.
Non-Standard Assets To Store? No Problem
We know your information assets comprise more than just
files and documents. You need a secure, known location
for your seismic sections, rock and drill samples, core
images, well logs, and tapes and disks — as well as for critical
paper records such as legal contracts and authorisation
documents. Our services will meet your needs for protecting
all your data and information assets in line with regulations
and the needs of your business.
- Our facilities serving your industry are protected by
security fences, keycard access, CCTV surveillance and fire
suppression systems; and our vehicles are secured with
specially designed locks proprietary to Iron Mountain.
- We’ve designed our services in line with the standards of
ISO 15489 (records management), ISO 9001:2008 (quality
management systems) and BS EN 15713 (secure destruction
of confidential material). We hold certifications for ISO/IEC
27001:2005 (information security management systems),
ISO 14001 (environmental management) and OHSAS 18001
(health and safety).
- Our staff undergo rigorous security training, screening and
background checks so you know your assets are always in
- We’ve been in business since 1951, so you can be confident
we’ll still be around at the end of any mandated information
Access And Track Your Information In Any
With Iron Mountain you can catalogue, locate and retrieve
your physical and digital information assets quickly and
easily, whether they’re stored with us, with you, or elsewhere.
Our eSearch portal — custom-created to meet the needs of
the energy industry — will enable you to:
- Upload, manage and rapidly search large volumes of
electronic attachments, configure views to suit your needs,
and manage complex data structures and large amounts of
- Use barcode record tracking to record the location and
ownership of each information asset throughout its
lifecycle, maintaining a permanent chain of custody and
ensuring you always know where everything is
- Closely control who is allowed to access what types of
Get Ahead Of The Curve By Integrating Your
Digital And Paper Assets
Our scanning services will help you integrate digital ways of
working with your legacy hard-copy information:
- We can accelerate integration by bulk-scanning your
document archives, including documents in specialist
formats such as well logs.
- We can provide one central portal, eSearch, for you to
view your scanned documents and manage your hard-copy
- Following scanning, we can store the paper originals for you
or securely destroy them.
Find Out More
To find out how Iron Mountain can help companies in the oil and gas industry optimise data and information
management to support exploration and production, contact us: www.ironmountain.co.uk or call us on
08445 60 70 80
About Iron Mountain . Iron Mountain Incorporated (NYSE: IRM) provides information management services that help organizations lower the costs, risks and inefficiencies of
managing their physical and digital data. Founded in 1951, Iron Mountain manages billions of information assets, including backup and archival data, electronic records, document
imaging, business records, secure shredding, and more, for organizations around the world. Visit the company Web site at www.ironmountain.com for more information.
© 2013 Iron Mountain Incorporated. All rights reserved. Iron Mountain and the design of the mountain are registered trademarks of Iron Mountain Incorporated. All other trademarks
are the property of the respective owners.